Thursday, March 16, 2017

Update for March 10

(Sorry for the delay I realized that this post didn't get uploaded)

So, while I have been working pretty consistently on my comic pages, I found some interesting research material and a concept I need to keep in mind while I work.

The concept of "Unending Anticipation" as a visual horror trope.

I found this while watching the 2016 horror movie, The Invitation.

It's a horror movie about a man meeting up with his ex-wife after 2 years. They are both still coping with the death of their son and have both remarried.
The dinner party that follows is unsettling and strange, leading to an evening of paranoia and intrique that leads to a sudden bloodbath.

But what made this movie interesting was the fact that 95% of the movie was just talking around a table, and only 5% of it was the gore and horror.
And yet, it was terrifying throughout.
Maybe it was the fact that it was advertized as a horror that I was in anticipation the whole time,
Maybe it was the unsettling music, or the Kubrickesque framing, or the reserved character acting, but with every passing moment it got scarier and scarier despite just being about some white people having wine around a coffee table. It was effective and impactful.

The reason this resonated with me was the fact that I am working with horror in a 2D still medium at the moment and visual horror can't be created through quick cuts or 2 frame flashes of the monster so the techniques included are vital to building my own suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment